This project is read-only.

[Version 1.3] or [Version 2.0] for June production release of product?

May 4, 2012 at 12:32 AM

We have a product with a scheduled release of end of June.  As such we need to make the call now if we should integrate Avalon 1.3 or 2.0 Beta.  In general I would lean towards 1.3 but given that I've seen it posted that 2.0 stable is expected around the end of May this leads me towards 2.0 especially given the increased feature set.

I was hoping the community would offer some guidance in this regard.  Is it easy to move from 1.3 to 2.0?  If so this would then this would be a non-issue.

Or would it be better to move forward with 2.0 beta and hope stable is out before end of June?

I understand the pressure to get this out by the target of end of May but I also understand that delays are often inevitable.

Thanks,

Brian

May 7, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Hi Brian,
I would suggest you to make a simple test using AvalonDock 2.0, including all the features that are required for your application. You should be able to make a simple project in a couple of yours and depending on your specific needs you should get a general overview on what is missing in AD 2.0.

As general rule consider that moving to AD 2.0 is highly recommended, especially for new applications.

Ado

May 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.  A big part of the application was just moving it from a tightly bound WinForms app to a more loosely coupled WPF app with WinForms Hosts where the plan being in future releases we'll be replacing the WinForms controls with WPF.  I ended up integrating 1.3 (it took just a couple of hours) but fortunately with the new architecture of our application moving to 2.0 should be pretty trivial.  I'll give it a try and see if there are any problems.

Brian