Where has adospace gone?

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:52 AM
... See title.
Feb 1, 2013 at 4:41 AM
Had the same question - the last commit was 1.5 months ago... But I am sure he will be back :)
Feb 6, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Feb 13, 2013 at 5:39 PM
It looks like this project may be dead... Which is sad because it had great potential. Unfortunately as it stands now 2.0 is unfinished and has too many bugs to make it usable. Hopefully Adospace will return or someone else will pick up this project.
Feb 15, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Should we create a new Codeplex/GitHub project, so that we can start making contributions/fixes?
Feb 18, 2013 at 11:44 AM
The project is not dead but...

"AvalonDock deserves a bright future. As I can’t work on AD as I would, I decided to move the project ahead: AvalonDock will be part of the Extented WPF Toolkit (http://wpftoolkit.codeplex.com/). It will be maintained by the Xceed team with frequent updates and bug fixes and it will remain open source. Xceed is a leading company in the WPF world producing high quality products. I’m sure that AvalonDock will be in good hands.

Thanks,
Ado"
Feb 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Ado,
Two questions:
1) Will Avalon Dock become part of the no cost Extended WPF Toolkit Community Edition, or will it become part of one of Exceed's paid subscription editions?
2) When will Avalon Dock show up as part of the Extended WPF toolkit?

Dave
Feb 18, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Such a crap. The Extended WPF Toolkit is crap as hell. Some good features are only available in the Plus-Version. It is damn crap.
Feb 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM
"it will remain open source", so I guess he means that it will be part of the free version.
Feb 18, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Edited Feb 19, 2013 at 6:55 AM
mgnu wrote:
"it will remain open source", so I guess he means that it will be part of the free version.
I'd like to assume that, but I figure it's safer to ask the man that owns the copyrights for the code.

When I went to look at the toolkit I realized that there is a free edition and there are also paid editions. Many features are only in the paid editions and some of the paid editions are rather expensive yearly subscriptions. Additionally, some toolkit controls only include source if you pay for "blueprint" subscriptions...

At first glance, it appears that AvalonDock could end up in any of the Xceed editions; since avalondock is relatively complicated, and the more comlicated controls are only in the paid editions, it seems plausible that avalonDock will end up in a paid edition....

So, I figured I'd Explicitly ask what the plan is for AvalonDock. As the man that made the deal, Ado can confirm from real 1st hand knowledge - and then we won't have to assume anything one way or the other.

Dave
Editor
Feb 19, 2013 at 3:53 AM
Edited Feb 19, 2013 at 4:36 AM
Hi,

Xceed now owns the copyrights for the code, we acquired all the rights, but, that doesn't affect the rights you all have been granted by the BSD license from this project. That's the beauty of Open Source. Projects can be forked / duplicated, they can be continued by anyone that feels they can do better or if something is to their disliking in someone else's project.

Regarding Extended WPF Toolkit, we have two full time developers working exclusively on Extended WPF Toolkit, that have just made 70 bug fixes and improvements to the toolkit in just the last update, with many updates made since we took over the project. We have added a some of our commercial controls, including a pretty powerful version of our datagrid to the toolkit, with source, and continued under the MSPL license. The toolkit is MsPL, so anyone can fork it and/or make patches for it or new controls and host it on Codeplex. But we're working hard on our project, and I think Xceed's version is the best. And, owning the rights to the original code (like now, with AvalonDock), we can offer it under a proprietary license as well as MsPL on Codeplex.

Except for the "SUCH A CRAP" comment above, I thought everyone was really happy about how it is progressing. We spend good effort working on it and checking the discussions, reviews, fixing issues, etc.

There are only two versions of the Extended WPF Toolkit, one is the free edition, with full source code of everything in the toolkit and under the best free license of all, MsPL. The other is the paid Plus edition, which provides technical support, Office themes, two extra controls, and some extra features in the property grid. When you buy it for $180, it includes full source code. But most of all, the $180 is for supporting the project. You saw "Xceed Business Suite for WPF", it's just a larger suite with even more controls, that we're offering on special on Codeplex.

Also, it's "avalondock" not "avalondick" ;)

As for what will happen to AvalonDock, the plan is currently to keep this project page, keep AvalonDock free here, and to start with fixing the top outstanding issues. We'll publish updates here, because this is where everyone currently goes to get AvalonDock. We hope that by treating the project with care and doing so actively, that this will remain a great and popular project. I'd prefer to have the best version of AvalonDock right here, instead of in someone else's fork for example. We will also integrate a copy of AvalonDock releases into the Extended WPF Toolkit, so users of the toolkit will get it included in their usual toolkit DLLs and don't have to make multiple downloads, though it might be in a separate DLL if it is too big, like the datagrid.

We plan to start working on the update to AvalonDock as soon as v2.0 of Extended WPF Toolkit is completed, and that's not far off. We'll also want to update the documentation, and also integrate yet another copy of AvalonDock into Extended WPF Toolkit Plus, which has a different installer and .CHM documentation, and Plus edition owners will get technical support, their issues addressed with higher priority and will be supporting the project.

Hope this helps.
Feb 19, 2013 at 6:46 AM
To Kosmatos: The feature of the property grid - the possibility to select multiple objects - was a suggestion of the community wanted by many users. But you inserted into the paid version, and that made me very angry. I liked the extended wpftoolkit only because of the property grid, all other controls are not useful for me, and the only feature I (and some other) needed very the possibility to select multiple objects to it. But you saw your possibilites to get money with that wish and inserted this feature only into the plus version. I hope you'll maybe add it into the free version and I hope the AvalonDock will not share the fate of the property grid...
Feb 19, 2013 at 6:59 AM
Kosmatos,
Thanks for the info re the future of the package.

Kosmatos wrote:
<snip>
Also, it's "avalondock" not "avalondick" ;)
Sorry, that was a typo - I edited the post to correct it.
Dave
Feb 19, 2013 at 7:28 AM
Sounds good to me ! Thanks for the update..!
Feb 19, 2013 at 7:45 AM
This is a good news for me. I did evaluated many Docking component from third parties and compare those with AD .AvalonDock is the only that full support MVVM pattern. I hope the best road map for this project.
Asad,