Xceed WPF Toolkit

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM
If this means we have to pay for future bugfixes I'm going to be really sad.

I use this for a university project and using open source projects for it is ok, but I cannot use external libraries I pay for, so this will mean end of support for me.

Anyway thanks adospace for the excellent free library you provided, I'm hoping this will someday land in the community edition of the Xceed toolkit.
Editor
Feb 25, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Edited Feb 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Nah, we are happy to continue updating the project and providing bug fixes and improvements to it, under the same license and free. Just look at what we have done for the past year with Extended WPF Toolkit. Example, the last update (Jan 28 2013) had 70 bugfixes and improvements to it.

Original thread
Feb 25, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Xceed does ring a bell, I thought it were a set of controls from SyncFusion? The website xceed.com seems to be down right now.

I'm glad AvalonDock is under BSD / MSPL, which means (I assume) that we don't have to worry about any time bomb tricks like the RedGate Reflector affair.
Editor
Feb 25, 2013 at 8:46 PM
LouisSomers, yes, you assume correctly, there's no ticking time bomb here. In fact, it's a huge motivator because we want to have the best version. The only way to do that is to put good work into it, maintain it, and make sure it thrives. The other motivator is that it is now an Xceed product, too, so if we're going to have our name on it, it better be good.

Xceed is not affiliated with SyncFusion. I just checked xceed.com and it's online. Not sure what happened.
Feb 25, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Strange I'm getting timeouts in Firefox, but it's working in IE, probably a DNS glitch that FireFox has cached?

Looks like cool stuff. Oh, I see you have a "Docking Windows" product for WinForms as well.
What's the incentive for Exceed to invest time and expenses in an open source project? Publicity?
Editor
Feb 26, 2013 at 2:05 AM
Edited Feb 26, 2013 at 2:24 AM
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. Just kidding. :)

We've been in the component business for what will soon be 20 years. What we've done during all that time is to write software controls (and libraries) and support them. The model was to build the controls, advertise them, developers would see those ads (or by word of mouth find out about us). That would trigger some trial downloads, and at the end of the day, we'd solve some of those developer's advanced requirements, they'd license our stuff, and we could come in to work the next day.

That's what we're trying to do here, but in a different way, on a different scale. Here, there are far more developers now downloading our work (or work that we have acquired and are working on). We're now serving a whole lot more developers, and as a bonus, don't have to make Google rich to be seen. That's really great. Our datagrid, recently added to the toolkit, is now being used by far more developers. We used to do it back in 2007/2008 with a truly free edition, but withdrew once Microsoft launched their own free WPF grid a year later. But those were great times, we had a lot more users, they used the free edition.

With the last few releases of our WPF toolkit, we've built up our project followers and downloads to much more interesting levels than we've ever had before. It is gratifying. What we hope to achieve is that far more people know about Xceed, use and enjoy our code, and know it's created/maintained by Xceed. Perhaps some of them will find that they'd like some of our other controls, themes, or some of the advanced features we invested in developing for the Plus Edition. But, the community or free editions have to be good, so we advance them too, with new controls, some features, and all the bug fixes we make. The better we make them, the more people will use them, right? At the end of the day though, we are still continuing to also do what we've always done, which is to solve advanced requirements, and get paid so we can come in to work the next day. Which is why in parallel to our work on the community editions, we also invest in some advanced features or controls that aren't free.

I hope this helps.
Odi Kosmatos
odi@xceed.com
Feb 26, 2013 at 5:39 AM
Oh, I thought this means it will be only a part of the toolkit plus:
For more features, controls, and fast professional support,
pick up AvalonDock in Extended WPF Toolkit Plus at http://xceed.com/wpf_toolkit 
Editor
Feb 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Hmm... yes, corrected, but the whole page needs an overhaul to make things clearer. Will work on that shortly.