[Version 2.0] No progress !!

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:58 AM
I am really dissapointed with what happened to this project. After 13th December 2012 no bug fixes or improvements are done to this project after Xceed took over the project.
Apr 25, 2013 at 11:53 AM
I couldn't agree more.... worthless.
Editor
Apr 27, 2013 at 4:51 AM
We're just about finished with v2.0 of Extended WPF Toolkit, which now includes AvalonDock, and once that's published, we'll get to tackling the bug fixes/improvements.

Odi
Xceed
Apr 29, 2013 at 2:19 AM
Ok. That statement explains us the priority level of serving the open source project. People go for open source because they see continuous improvement and quick bug fixes. If we look at the source history of this project you can see how well the project was going in that direction.

If you have bug fixes, the best thing you could have done is publish them in both commercial product and open source project at the same time.

I am sorry to be so rude but I am supposed to make a decision soon before our product release. You might be fixing my problems soon but I have no insight in to when that will be and what that will be.

I was a big fan of SharpDevelop. The reason I chose AvalonDock was that it is used in SharpDevelop and seems to be very stable. So I hoped version 2.0 will also reach that level within a reasonable time. But now it seems like not.

If we know at least which bugs you are addressing and the date of next release we will be happy.
Editor
Apr 29, 2013 at 3:54 AM
Edited Apr 29, 2013 at 3:55 AM
Ok. That statement explains us the priority level of serving the open source project.

I think you misunderstood, because "v2.0 of Extended WPF Toolkit" refers to the open source project. AvalonDock has been integrated into the free edition. (I didn't say it was only going into the commercial Plus edition...)

If we know at least which bugs you are addressing and the date of next release we will be happy.

We haven't decided yet, but when we start tackling them, you should see the progress in the Issue Tracker. I'll meet with the team this week and see when we can start.

Thanks,
Odi
Apr 29, 2013 at 5:56 AM
Does that mean can we get a better version of AvalonDock with "v2.0 of Extended WPF Toolkit" free edition ?

I do not know the idea of other users in this matter but I would like to see a steady rate of improvement in the codebase so that we can predict the state of the project rather than having zero improvements for 6 months and them huge lot of improvements in next day. Even it is smaller that is fine. But we expect reaction for the user requests.
Editor
Apr 29, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Edited Apr 29, 2013 at 1:00 PM
We were assigned this project page 2 months ago, not 6.
May 20, 2013 at 1:02 AM
I was one of the person who was happy that Xceed took this project - however, the only change that I see in the project is

https://avalondock.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/100414

This basically changed all copyright statements - and some folder structure.

The last actual fix was done on Dec 13th 2012.

I would love to see progress but if that's not happening - atleast some updates on the project page on the direction of the project would be good. After all, if this going to be community edition - it can get some feedback.

Also, I don't see why there is a hurry in merging AvalonDock into Exteneded WPF Toolkit. Why can't it be its own assembly? People using the project can still use it the way they want without additional dependencies?

I love Extended WPF Toolkit as well but I think AD deserves its own project. After all, the copyrights have been updated - this project page can bear Xceed logo too.
Editor
May 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Edited May 20, 2013 at 1:14 PM
You are free to do that if you want.

Meanwhile, we're working on an update to AvalonDock. We just completed yet another update with another ~70 improvements to Extended WPF Toolkit and are publishing it in the next couple of days (not today because it is a holiday here and the devs aren't working).

BTW, the update to AvalonDock will also be published here. ("Why can't it be its own assembly?" <-- it still will be, "People using the project can still use it the way they want without additional dependencies?" <-- Yes)
May 20, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Sounds good - thanks a lot for the update Kosmatos and taking care of AvalonDock :) !
May 23, 2013 at 4:04 AM
Hmm.. Lot of changes. Got 233 mails ! But seems like most of the issues are closed saying obsolete. Anyway, good job. Waited long time to see this.