Why is AvalonDock abandoned again?

Feb 5 at 6:42 AM
In May 2013, AvalonDock project has been transfered in possession to Xceed.
And what did Xceed do to AvalonDock? They made it closed-source. Release 2.1 of theirs toolkit features many improvements and bug fixes (including those for AvalonDock), but not yet released in open source version, which is still in 2.0. The same applies to the rest of WPF Extended Toolkit, which was absorbed by Xceed.

Why is that?
Feb 5 at 9:06 AM
I am also waiting for some bug fixes but nothing really happens. Seems like Xceed does not want us to use the open source one. This is really a bad thing they did. If they wanted to do a commercial one they should have done without taking control of this.
Feb 5 at 9:45 AM
If you take a look into source history of the open source version you see that BoucherS has commited a lot of code on last friday, also concerning AvalonDock. Unfortunately he did not leave a comment, but I guess this commit is the merge from plus version 2.1.
Feb 5 at 3:55 PM
Edited Feb 5 at 4:00 PM
I don't understand what you mean. The last comment from BoucherS is from Jun 20, 2013 in the Source Code history on this site. Oh now I see what you mean:

https://wpftoolkit.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/106497

Yes, doing such a huge commit without comment is not nice. Maintaining 2 source repositories is also new to me. And most people are probably not aware of it either....
Mar 22 at 5:11 AM
I agree - this has been their pattern with most of the bug fixes for open source projects including the ones in wpftoolkit. HELLO MAINTAINERS!! Are you seeing these messages??
Mar 26 at 5:18 PM
Should we be posting this question on Extended WPF toolkit discussions?
Mar 26 at 7:22 PM
Hello, I am working on a Wpf application and might like to work with AvalonDock for DockingManager, etc. With this, is AD a good choice in its current 2.0.something form? What's the story with Xceed, et al, exactly? Not least of which, there were some breaking changes in the NuGet package, probably around the 2.0 commit, which "forced" me to download the releases from this site; I say "forced" halfway, because it's partly also by choice. But anyway... Where do we stand as end-users in the spectrum of AD stability?
Mar 26 at 8:24 PM
It appears worse than that. Not only did the Xceed acquisition happen, but the Aero dependency has gone unresolved and/or is completely broken.
'Xceed.Wpf.AvalonDock.Aero, Version=2.0.2000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3e4669d2f30244f4' 
This name has changed in the available downloads, yet the AvalonDock assembly is expecting it. Instead, it is named Xceed.Wpf.AvalonDock.Themes.Aero.

I am not against business strategies such as this one, but as long as we're subjected to it, at least make the effort not to disrupt your existing (prospective) customers.

With this I am seriously considering competitors such as Telerik for their component library, docking, etc.
Mar 26 at 8:32 PM
Okay, well, I have a momentary workaround falling back on one of the prior 2.0 version samples. I copied the AvalonDock assemblies from the bin/ folder, including the Aero assembly, and am using those for the moment. Whatever our strategic decision re: vendors will be, I would at least like to evaluate this option using the latest, unbroken available downloads.