In Sample solution, edit any .xaml in VS 2008 crash silently

May 7, 2010 at 3:15 PM

hi,

I'm a newbie in C# and WPF developer. I download and install AvalonDock framework yesterday. Start the solution, remove and re-add the AvalonDock.dll then run the app. It runs well, but if I try to edit any of the .xaml file, Visual Studio crash silently, meaning it terminates and disappears without giving any error or GPF. What's wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.

XP - SP 3, VS 2008 - SP1, .NET 3.5.

Thanks.

Eddy

May 7, 2010 at 11:35 PM

This is probably not an issue with AvalonDock.

WPF development in VS2008 is know for being problematic.  It gets even worse if you are running Blend as well.  This is one of the main reasons WPF devs are so excited about VS2010.  It's supposed to have significant improvements in features/stability of the WPF designer.  Personally, I'm running multiple hot fixes just to work.  Even with that, it crashes on me at least once a day.

You're best bet is to leave the visual designer closed as much as possible and just work in the code view.  Of course... that will get easier once you get more comfortable with XAML. :)  Here's a link to one of the more popular hotfix rollups related to the wpf designer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958017

May 10, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Thanks gidmanmaDCT. I actually create a new project and copy & paste the code for all windows and .xaml. I will apply the patch.