This project is read-only.

Forking the project

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:48 PM

By this point, it seems AdoSpace isn't returning to this project.

http://avalondock.codeplex.com/discussions/217536 mentioned a possible fork, and there are many patches pending.

I don't have a ton of time to invest, but I'd be willing to contribute some time to managing the new project, reviewing patches and the like.  It'd be nice to get this on NuGet, too.

Thoughts?  Is there already a fork somewhere?

Mar 30, 2011 at 9:35 PM
Edited Mar 30, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Oh, I just noticed juergen1969 is active here, and is a project developer.  Do you have any insight/plans to share on any new development, Juergen?

Nm: I misinterpreted an old post coming to the top of the list as Juergen being active.

Mar 31, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Some elements that need to be pointed out:

- The API works well but there is a lot of issues to solve and some pending requests for improvement . There 's also some material and already written enhancements that could be integrated in a new release. A new release but not necessarily a fork. A project that no longer evolves dies

- Adospace isn't returning to this project. Is this definitive ? AdoSpace, your plans should be appreciated. Same question to juergen1969. Same question to anybody: Who has the will and the time to participate in this project ?

Bernard from Sofa, an AvalonDock wrapper.

Mar 31, 2011 at 1:27 PM
Edited Mar 31, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I think we are on the same page, Bernard.  It's because I think this is an excellent library that I want to see it continue.

Regarding Ado and Juergen, if you click on the People tab, then on their usernames, you can see that neither of them have visited codeplex in a very long time.  I don't expect that codeplex allows someone to take over an abandoned project, but that might be an option worth looking into, so that the history/community isn't lost.

Sent Ado a message via codeplex, fingers crossed :)

Apr 3, 2011 at 8:15 AM

matelich, any news from Ado ?

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I have not heard from Ado or Juergen.  The codeplex team says it is not possible to get yourself added to a project, except via the existing coordinators.  So, any project such as this would be a fork unless Ado can be contacted.

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:00 PM

AdoSpace has been on this page at 1st of April 2011. But nevertheless there is no statement in this discussion-thread about the future of Avalon, although several thread regarding this matter are existing here.

My personal opinion is, that AdoSpace ist neither interested in this Library nor willing to keep us informed. So I think it would be the best to download the sources and create a new Library AvalonDockReloaded.

Another question would be, whether the team at SharpDevelop are working on this. I can't believe that they are using an outdated DockingLib with several problems/bugs.

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Hi all,
Thanks for your interest in AvalonDock. It's not true that I'm not interested in giving a future to this library. I know there are some bugs to fix and some important features to add. Unfortunately during last months I was really busy for my work.

I'm planning to restart the work on this project in a couple of weeks but, of course, I can't garantee a working schedule. I'll just start fixing most important bugs and applying most important patch.

Said that anyone can use AvalonDock sources to create a derivate work (for that I choose the BSD license). Also anyone is interested can help me in improving the library.

Adospace

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Very glad to see you here, Adospace, and happy to hear you will resume work on the project.  I did not relish the thought of trying to fork and maintain this excellent tool.

I will look towards creating patches for my problems, thank you for the update.

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Welcome Back adospace. It would be a pity if such a nice project would be no longer maintained, especially because it seems the only working public docking library.

I really hope you will find the time to work on this again (because you wrote something similar last year ;-)

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:12 PM
Edited Apr 6, 2011 at 8:27 PM

I was not in AvalonDock because I was setting up AvalonDock (cont'd). Good surprise Ado when I see you are back!

Of course forks are allowed in a BSD license but this is not a fork but AvalonDock support. You are the Guru of AvalonDock and this can only work with your agreement: Let us know your preference: Do I close/delete AvalonDock (cont'd) or do I go on with this kind of support until you are effectively back ?